NEW Law on Carbon Monoxide

Effective Oct. 15, 2014, Ontario has made carbon monoxide alarms is mandatory  for homes and residential buildings with fuel burning appliances and / or attached garages.

Carbon Monoxide 101

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood have insufficient air to burn completely. 

This can happen in any appliance or device that burns these fuels such as a stove, furnace, fireplace, hot water heater, vehicle engine, portable generator.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea and dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. In high concentrations, it can be fatal.

The Case for Change

Co titleMore than 50 people die each year from CO poisoning in Canada, including an average of 11 people per year in Ontario (Parachute Canada statistics).

CO detectors/alarms have been mandatory in new homes and other residential buildings since 2001 through the Ontario Building Code. While the Ontario Building Code applies to new construction and renovations, the Ontario Fire Code applies to existing buildings.

Amendments to the Fire Code will establish retrofit requirements for CO detectors/alarms in existing homes, consistent with the Building Code’s requirements for new buildings.

More information about carbon monoxide alarms can be found by clicking of the following link.
http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/FireMarshal/CarbonMonoxideAlarms/QuestionsandAnswers/OFM_COAlarms_QandA.html