Open Air Burning Season

Open Air Burning Most Frequently Asked Questions


When do you require an open air burn permit?

The only time an approved open air burn permit is not required is when the open burn is a fire pit and meets the by-law size and distance requirements or is a barbeque.

What restrictions are there for getting an open air burning permit?

A permit will only be issued for someone that has a rural 911 address (green number sign). No permits will be issued for urban areas. The product being burned must be part of normal farm practice (burning of diseased trees, clearing of ditch banks, fence rows, etc.).

How can I apply for an open air burning permit?

Open air burning applications can be accessed at any Municipal Service Centre or on the Municipality’s website.

Once the application is complete it can be submitted to your nearest Service Centre or faxed to Fire Administration at 519-352-8620. Applicants can expect approval within at least seven business days. All open air burning permits must be approved by a fire official. The permits are valid for 12 months before they require a renewal.

Are burn barrels allowed and do we need a permit for them?

barrels. There is a regulation in the Ontario Fire Code that does not allow them in the province of Ontario.

Can I have a fire pit in my back yard?

Yes, if it can meet the distance restrictions in the by-law. The fire pit can be no closer than 25 feet to combustibles and property lines. See the by-law for size and all the regulations.

Useful Links:

Open Burn Application
Open Burn By-Law 

Questions and Answers

Summer Safety

It’s finally here…nice weather and vacation season gives us the opportunity to enjoy some outdoor time, rest and relaxation. During the summer fire services from across Ontario partner with TSSA to offer some important summer safety tips. Check out the link.

Have a safe and fun summer season!