Portable Generators

Portable generators are useful during power outages. However, many homeowners are unaware that the improper use of portable generators can be risky. The most common dangers associated with portable generators are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electrical shock or electrocution, and fire hazards.

Generator Warning Label - Using a generator indoors can kill you in minutes. Generator exhaust contains carbon monoxide. This is a poison you cannot see or smell.

PREVENT FIRE:

Improper fuel handling, improperly installed or overheated generators are fire hazards.

  • Do not store fuel in the home. Fuels should be stored in properly labelled and vented fuel storage containers in a well-ventilated building or storage shed away from living areas. Do not store fuel near the generator or other fuel-burning or heat-producing appliance.
  • Shut down the generator and allow it to cool before refuelling.
  • Do not overload the generator.

Generator Safety

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply